Since the legalization of hemp last year, more people are starting to experiment with it at home. It’s never been easier to access raw hemp along with hemp products. One of hemp’s key components is Cannabidiol or CBD. This compound is the source of many of hemp’s great health benefits from pain-relieving to reducing anxiety levels and more. The CBD extraction process is like a much more complicated version of extracting olive oil from olives. You can do it, but it takes a long time and is extremely difficult to master. Let’s take a look at how it works.
The CBD Extraction Process
There are many different ways of extracting CBD from hemp. Here are the most common that people try at home.
The quality of the hemp will determine the quality of the oil. Before producing oil, the hemp leaves need to be ground up and put through a process of decarboxylation—a process that removes a carbon atom from the molecules. To do this, you bake the ground hemp for between 90 to 100 minutes at 220 degrees Fahrenheit in your oven. Then follow these steps:
- In a large mason jar mix the ground hemp with carrier oil you want to use. For all-purpose CBD oil, you’ll need something neutral. After this, soak the hemp in the oil. Depending on how potent you want the final product to be will determine the amount of oil you use.
- Slowly bring the mixture to a boil. Secure the lid on top of the jar. Place a towel on the bottom of a deep pan. Place a jar on top of the towel and fill the pan with water. Heat the water until it reaches 200 degrees.
- Turn the heat down and let simmer for three hours. Periodically check to make sure water hasn’t evaporated. After three hours, turn off the stove and let it sit for another three hours. Heat again for another hour. Turn off the heat and leave overnight.
- The extracted CBD Oil will be ready the next morning. All you have to do is strain it through a cheesecloth and it’s good to go.
Some people prefer using alcohol for the CBD extraction process because it requires less effort although the quality won’t be as good.
- Place hemp in a bowl. Cover with alcohol and stir for 5-6 minutes. Remove any resin with a wooden spoon.
- Use a sieve to filter the solvent out of the bowl. Squeeze as much as possible. You may want to do this twice.
- In a double boiler, pour the oil you extracted earlier. Heat slowly until bubbles begin to form. Wait until alcohol evaporates—but don’t raise the temperature. After about thirty minutes of a low simmer, the alcohol should be evaporated completely. Once this happens, mix it.
- Transfer the oil into a storage container. Keep in a cool, dark room with a tight lid to prevent spoilage.
The CBD Extraction Process
These are the two most common ways to extract CBD oil. As you can tell they are somewhat labor intensive and take several hours. They also generally don’t produce high-quality oils. Overall, it’s much easier just to find a CBD manufacturing expert and just buy from there. You’d do this for the same reasons you wouldn’t make your own olive or vegetable oil at home. From here, you can spend your time on more fun things to make such as edible CBD products and more.